Filling is used as a technique for mending, leveling, repairing and as adhesive. There are four quality levels, which are based primarily on the final surface appearance and the cover material used.


Walls can be plastered with putty. The transition is fluid. Subtypes are spatulas with red tape and the filling of wallpaper.


Smaller repairs can also be repaired on the floor by trowelling. The transition to alternative balancing is fluid. Above all screed is filled.

Ceilings and joints

Almost all panel and wall coverings made of panels have joints. They are filled with spatulas to create a flat surface.

Screw holes

Typically, drywall panels are bolted to scaffolds or other substrates. The drill holes with the screwed-in screw heads are filled with putty.

Smooth surfaces

On smooth surfaces of all kinds, a typical work order is filling, priming and painting, wallpapering or plastering.


The surface finishes at right-angled corners are usually provided with reinforcements, which are also troweled.


The common wall and shuttering material Rigips can be given greater stability by troweling with a cloth tape. A classic filler is Uniflott, which can be used by professionals and skilled self-makers. OSB and MDF boards can also be edited this way.

Lime plaster

Special technical requirements arise when applying lime plaster. Using other putty and cement plaster can be filled.


Chipping, holes and slits can be filled to a certain degree with putty. As a joint closure for the concrete infill, scarf stones are filled.


Wood trowelling is more likely to be a handcrafted approach. Wood substitute pastes and putty, for example, make invisible to a wooden ceiling lamp mounting holes.

Tips & TricksIf you integrate insulation materials on ceilings and walls, you can incorporate them into the trade union family with spatulas. Both Styrodur and Styrofoam can be filled.

Share with friends

Leave your comment